Are you wondering between two low-end robot vacuum cleaners, Roomba I4 vs I5? But which one is the better choice? Personally, I lean towards the Roomba i5, and I’ll tell you why it’s the superior choice.
The Roomba i5, in my testing, proved to be more effective at cleaning floors. In addition, the Roomba i5 also has many improved features compared to the I4, such as larger tank, lighter weight, etc…
The Roomba i4 might be the right choice for you in terms of price. It offers similar performance and features to the Roomba i5, as they are essentially identical vacuums.
Roomba I4 Vs I5: Comparison Chart
Roomba I4 Vs I5: Differences
In my opinion, Roomba I4 vs I5 are quite similar. However, there are some small differences that give the Roomba i5 an edge, with a 1-0 win and a 3-way tie against the Roomba i4.
The winner: Roomba I5
|Roomba I4||Roomba I5|
Both of these vacuums did a great job of cleaning up debris tested on hardwood floors. The Roomba I5 cleared 100% of the tested debris, and the I4 followed suit with 99% efficiency. Overall, I am satisfied in every way with both vacuum cleaners.
|Roomba I4||Roomba I5|
|Low-pile Carpet||≈ 98%||≈ 99%|
|High-pile Carpet||≈ 96%||≈ 99%|
On the Low-pile carpet, Roomba I4 vs I5 both left some grain debris, but not much. Plus, Reactive Sensor technology helps prevent clogging, while Dirt Detect sensors deep clean when needed.
When cleaning high-thickness carpets as well as when cleaning low-thickness carpets. The Roomba I5 was amazing, and meanwhile, the I4 continued to miss super fine, sugary crumbs.
When it comes to handling the omnipresent pet hair dilemma, both the Roomba I4 vs I5 offer compelling solutions, with each machine scoring high marks amongst pet owners. They are embedded with an advanced 3-stage cleaning system, meticulously engineered to effectively lift, loosen, and eradicate pet hair from multiple floor types, ensuring your furry friend’s leftovers don’t mar the aesthetics of your dwelling.
Additionally, both models employ a dual rubber roll design, a thoughtful feature enhancing their ability to not only remove hair with precision but also to efficiently detangle any hair that might find its way around the shaft. This implies fewer interruptions and more continuous cleaning cycles, a much-needed feature for pet-inclusive households where hair accumulation is a constant battle.
Dirt compartment & Filtration
Both the Roomba i4 vs i5 showcase high-performance filters coupled with enhanced HEPA filtration systems. These features work cohesively to transform your living spaces into sanctuaries free from pollen, dust mites, and other allergens, providing a breath of fresh air, literally and figuratively.
However, when it comes to the size of the dirt compartment, a crucial component determining how much debris the vacuum can accommodate before requiring attention, the Roomba i5 has a subtle edge. Its dirt tank boasts a capacity of 0.5 liters, a slight but potentially significant advantage over the i4’s 0.4 liters, especially for larger homes or areas with higher levels of dirt accumulation.
Design & Usability
Dimensions & weights
Compared to the Roomba I5, the Roomba I4 is considerably heavier than the Roomba I5 based on weight and size, but not by a large margin. It is easy to clean tight spaces with these machines because of their compact size and low profile, especially in smaller homes or apartments where space may be limited due to their small size.
Extractor & Side Brush
Both our contenders are fortified with rotating side brushes that masterfully sweep through every nook and cranny of your space, including walls, corners, and other hard-to-reach areas, ensuring that no dirt or debris is left untouched during subsequent cleaning sessions. These side brushes are designed to access areas that are traditionally challenging, thus enhancing the overall cleanliness of your home.
Moreover, the cleaning efficacy of both models is further accentuated by the inclusion of two counter-rotating brushes. These brushes operate in tandem, mimicking the synergistic action of a shovel and a broom, which is instrumental in capturing larger trash, assorted debris, and hair scattered across the floor. This innovative design implies that larger, often troublesome debris is efficiently dealt with, leaving your floors impeccably clean.
Navigational prowess is the linchpin of efficient robotic cleaning, and in this domain, both our vacuum models excel with smart, straight-line navigation, leveraging intricate floor tracking sensors to clean purposefully and logically in neat, uniform rows. This meticulous approach ensures every inch of the floor is covered, leaving no room for dirt to hide.
These models go a step further by mapping the entire house, providing users with the luxury of dictating the when and where of cleaning. This customizable cleaning schedule, coupled with the ability to remember routines, allows the vacuums to automatically suggest cleaning programs, thus helping users optimize cleaning schedules and intensify cleaning when necessary. This advanced feature ensures that your living space is maintained in pristine condition, adapting to your lifestyle and preferences.
Moreover, the user-friendly interface allows you to program the robot to commence cleaning when you leave and stop upon your arrival. This seamless integration means users can relish in the impeccable cleaning results without ever having to witness the cleaning process, adding a layer of convenience to the sophisticated cleaning experience.
Battery longevity and protection mechanisms are critical components in evaluating the overall performance and reliability of robot vacuums. In this regard, both the Roomba i4 vs i5 boast a 2 AA rechargeable lithium-ion battery, delivering up to 120 minutes of relentless cleaning power, enabling them to traverse extensively through your living spaces without the need for frequent recharges. This extended battery life is particularly beneficial for larger homes or spaces with a high density of furniture and obstacles, ensuring consistent cleaning results every time.
In addition to their impressive battery life, both models are fortified with a myriad of protective features, such as drop sensor protection, anti-collision protection, and a protective pad. These features work synergistically to shield your walls and furniture from potential scratches and protect the robot from collisions, ensuring the vacuum navigates smoothly, even in cluttered spaces, without getting stuck or causing any inadvertent damage.
Both the Roomba i4 vs i5 stand out with their user-friendly dustbins designed to contain the dust and debris they collect, with the added advantage of being extremely easy to clean. This feature augments the user experience, enabling a quick and hassle-free cleaning process of the dustbins, ensuring optimal performance of the devices.
Moreover, both models advocate for comprehensive maintenance, emphasizing the periodic cleaning of various components to uphold the device’s longevity. Fortuitously, Roomba makes this task straightforward, allowing easy removal of the parts that require cleaning. The accompanying user manual provides clear, concise instructions to guide users through the maintenance process, simplifying what could be a tedious task and ensuring the vacuum’s optimal performance over time.
An additional noteworthy feature is the Clean Base® automatic dust removal capability, allowing both the Roomba i4 vs i5 to self-empty for up to 60 days, eliminating the necessity for manual intervention. This innovative feature is a testament to the autonomous nature of these models, allowing users to enjoy the luxury of a clean space without the routine chore of emptying the bin. However, prospective buyers should be aware that this advanced charging dock is not included and must be acquired separately, a consideration that might impact the overall investment in the robotic cleaning experience.
In conclusion, the Roomba i4 and i5 excel in offering an enhanced user experience, characterized by ease of maintenance and the option for autonomous dust disposal. Whether opting for the consistent performance of the i4 or the slight refinements in the i5, users are assured a convenient and efficient cleaning maintenance experience, subject to the optional purchase of the advanced charging dock.
Quick Rundown Of Roomba I5
- DOUBLE THE CLEAN WITH ONE MACHINE. The Roomba Combo i5 robot vacuum & mop is designed for both wet and dry floor cleaning—converting from an all-floor vacuum to a vacuum & mop, with the simple switch of a bin.
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE. POWERFUL PICKUP. Pulls in the everyday dirt and debris with a 4-Stage Cleaning System, featuring unique Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes that adjust to different floor types and avoid getting tangled with pet hair.
- SIMULTANEOUSLY VACUUMS AND MOPS HARD FLOORS. Don't waste extra time cleaning, the Roomba Combo i5 robot vacuum & mop cleans wet or dry with one machine.
- A MOP PAD DESIGNED FOR PERFORMANCE. Designed for wet floor mopping performance, the specialized microfiber pad tackles footprints, dirt and dust.
- CLEAN YOUR WAY MORE EFFICIENTLY. Fill the Roomba Combo Bin’s tank with a compatible cleaning solution* of your choice or just water and instantly transform your robot into a vacuuming and wet mopping robot that leaves your home fresh and clean. *See iRobot website for list of compatible cleaning solutions.
Quick Rundown Of Roomba I4
- 20% LARGER BATTERY – Larger battery for extended runtime. Compared to other Roomba i series Robot Vacuums
- CLEANS THE ROOMS YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT - iRobot OS learns and personalizes your cleaning with Imprint Smart Mapping technology so you can direct it to clean any room you want, any time you want—either on a set schedule or in the moment.
- SWEEPS UP DUST, DIRT AND DEBRIS WITH EASE - Experience a comprehensive clean with the powerful 3-Stage Cleaning System that pulls in dirt, debris, and pet hair from wherever it hides.
- PRECISION CLEANING IN TIDY ROWS - Cleans intelligently in straight lines back and forth, to thoroughly clean your floors while navigating around furniture. When it needs to recharge, it will resume right where it left off ensuring a complete clean.
- FOCUSES ON DIRT - iRobot's Patented Dirt Detect Technology allows the Roomba i4 EVO robot to detect dirtier areas of your home and clean them more thoroughly.
Related Articles to Roomba I4
- Roomba i4 vs j7: Compare An Entry-Level vs. A Premium Vacuum
- Roomba i4 vs i8: Which Robot Vacuum Is Better?
- Roomba i4 vs i7: Choosing The Ideal Robot Vacuum For Your Home
- Irobot I1 Vs I4: Is There A Better Value Option Out Of The Two?
- Roomba I4 Vs I6: Budget-Friendly Robot Vacuums – Which is Better?
- Roomba i3 vs i4: Which Affordable Entry-Level Roomba Is the Better Choice?
- Roomba 960 Vs I4: Which Robot Vacuum Is Better?
- Roomba i4 vs 675: A Head-To-Head Comparison
- Roomba I5: https://www.irobot.co.uk/en_GB/irobot-roomba-i5/I515840.html#:~:text=Roomba%C2%AE%20i5%20Robot%20Vacuum%20Cleaner%20%7C%20iRobot%C2%AE%20%7C%20iRobot
- Roomba I4: https://www.irobot.com/en_US/roomba_i4/I415020.html
Richard B. Schmidt is a prominent figure in the vacuum cleaner industry, boasting over 15 years of expertise. Armed with a Robotics Engineering degree from Northeastern University and a Master’s in Consumer Science from Harvard, his unique blend of technical knowledge and consumer insights positions him as a sought-after authority in vacuum cleaner evaluation. Richard’s career began at Dyson, where he contributed to the development of innovative vacuum models. Transitioning to advocacy and reviews, he co-founded the first Vacuum-focused blog in 2008, offering comprehensive analysis and user guides for various vacuum cleaners. In 2020, he founded RoboMop.net, providing ongoing insights through columns and buyer’s guides.